Friday, February 10, 2012

Cal is One Month Old!

Cal, you have been in our lives for a month already?  Crazy how time flies.  I am pretty sure that I state that in every age post.

I have to admit, this time around, I am actually ENJOYING the newborn stage.  With your brother, I was so depressed and I don't even remember the first 6 months of his life until I went on medication.  Doesn't that sound awful?  With you, I remember everything.  I haven't cried in sadness or frustration once!  Maybe it's because you are a slightly easier baby?

Some things that you are up to:

* You quickly moved out of newborn sized clothing by about 3 weeks.  Your nickname is chunky monkey because you have the chubbiest, stockiest legs and belly.  So darn cute!  Similarly, you are already in size 1 diapers (if you were to go by the disposable sizing). 

* You LOVE to eat.  Seriously, I am not used to this!  You love your milk and will take 2-3 ounces every 2 hours or less.  It's been hard keeping up with all your eating!  And boy, don't take away your bottle.  You get MAD!  So forget about burping in the middle of a feed.  You just scream until the bottle is placed back in your mouth.

* Sleep is pretty good.  You go down to bed around 8-8:30 in your Rock N Play next to Mom and Dad's bed.  I try to go to bed at the same time so I can get up to feed and change you in the middle of the night.  You usually wake up at 11:30, 3:00 and 5ish.  By 5:00, you have had enough of your bed and want to come to bed with Mom and Dad.  It's the only way to calm you down.  I remember the second night home from the hospital you slept for 5.5 hours at a stretch and almost died.  Hopefully you will do that again soon!

* I noticed that you had the classic signs of reflux (just like your brother) a week or so ago.  So now you are on baby Zantac and it seems to be helping a LOT.  Thank goodness we caught it so early.

* You love your Mommy.  I am usually the only one who can calm you down if you are crying.  We spend a lot of time bouncing and wearing the Moby.  You love being balled up next to Mommy's chest and just snuggling.  As a matter of fact, for about a week or two, the only way you would sleep was next to Mom and balled up.  Thank goodness I worked hard to get you to sleep in your bed.  It's hard sleeping sitting up!

* The noises you make are just precious.  Daddy and I say you "billy goat" because when you stretch or wake up, you make what sounds like a billy goat baa'ing.  It is so cute. 

* You smile a lot in your sleep.  I love watching the faces that you make.  A couple of times you have smiled at Mom when you have been awake but I am pretty sure it's gas.  I am not convinced when Nana says you are an early smiler. 

* I am convinced you are going to look like your Daddy.  People say you look like Jack.  I see similarities but definitely more differences.  Your eyes are just like Daddy's and Papa's when they were babies.  It will be fun to see who you look like as you get older.

* We try and do play-time on your play mat or with toys but honestly, you are more content just being held and looking around.  You love looking at lights or your brother.  You will crane your neck to stare at a light.  And you love the sound of Papa's voice.  A couple of times if he is speaking, you will turn your head to look.

* Your head control is amazing.  You have been able to hold it up pretty much from birth.  This is another trait you share with your brother.  I have strong boys!

I can't wait to see what this next month brings Cal.  I am sad that I have to go back to work after only 8 weeks.  I plan to enjoy every sleep-deprived, special second with you. 

Love you Monkey!

Look at those chunky legs and belly!  And how cute is a baby in a cloth diaper?


And looking out the window.  See?  You crane your neck to look at lights.

No comments:

Post a Comment