Friday, February 10, 2012

Save the Tatas

I am going to sandwich this post between Cal's 1 month post so it doesn't get lost in the fray.

On Monday, I noticed that my left breast was very tender and swollen.  Not engorged swollen but pain swollen.  It was so painful that I wasn't even able to pick up Cal and burp him without wincing in pain.  And pumping?  Pure hell.  The pain continued through the day but I chalked it up to being tired and maybe a clogged duct even though I couldn't feel one.

On Wednesday, the pain was still there but it would switch sides which makes absolutely no sense.  Again, I thought it was clogged ducts.  However, when I discovered that Cal had a yeast rash on his bottom, I started to wonder.  Hmmmm.  I treated the yeast with Monistat and had to switch him to disposable diapers because I suspected that the cloth were holding the moisture in causing the yeast. 

Wednesday night, his mouth was very very white.  Moreso than normal.  He typically has a thin white milk layer on his tongue but this was thick and cheese-like.  A lightbulb went off in my head and I went to the interwebs to look up the symptoms of thrush.

He had all the symptoms and I had the symptoms as well.  Awesome!

Yesterday was spent calling doctors, getting prescriptions refilled and general craziness.  Cal is being treated with the Monistat still and something called Gentian Violet which is literally a violet antifungal that you paint in his mouth.  If it wasn't so pathetic, my technicolor baby would be comical.  When Jason and I applied it last night (while he was swaddled and PISSED mind you) he gagged and made the most sad face.  Poor little guy.  And because it was literally hurting him to eat, he also got a dose of infant Tylenol. 

I got an Rx for Diflucan and some fancy-schmancy nipple cream that my insurance won't cover. 

Last night, I started feeling bad.  Headaches, fatigue and general malaise.  I thought it was from the stress of the day and shopping with my mother-in-law for a baby shower gift (not a fun task I tell ya) so I went to bed.  I woke up with Cal to feed and was sweating.  This is normal for me.  I threw the blanket off and went back to sleep after he was settled. 

4:30 came around and I was FREEZING.  Teeth chattering freezing even though I had flannel sheets, a comforter and a down blanket over me.  And the house is kept at 68 degrees. 

When I woke up this morning, I felt run over by a train.  Flu like symptoms.  Very painful and hot breasts, headache, dizzy, stiff neck, general fog and body aches, and a temperature of 101. 

Guess what folks?  Did you know that you can get thrush and mastitis at the same time?  Yeppers.  That is what I have.  After a trip to the doctor where he showed me the streaky red spots on my breasts, I came home and literally have not moved off the couch except to pee and eat.  I am now on ANOTHER prescription. 

So, besides the beastie yeasties, I have a bacterial infection in my boobs.  Awesome, I tell you.

Course of action:  Meds, lots of sleep (haha, that's impossible with a 2 year old and a 1 month old), lots of water, hot packs on the tatas, and pump pump pump.  Get the milk moving to get the infection out.  Fun times I tell you. 

Signed,
I feel like crap and want to take another nap

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I know that you had commented on my FB status that you'd had mastitis but to have thrush with is, sucky! (I'm just getting caught up on my blogs and will hopefully start blogging more frequently soon!)

    ReplyDelete