Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Knitting Projects

I have been knitting a lot lately.  It helps ease my stress, it keeps my hands busy at night so I am not constantly snacking, and I just enjoy it.

I try not to make goals for myself that I don't feel I can achieve, but this year I wanted to learn how to knit a sweater and I wanted to take a formal class on sock making.  I am proud to say that I have completed both!  I guess it's time to make a new goal.

Here are some of the projects that I have completed in the past few months.

I found this project before Christmas and made several pairs.  I love that it uses minimal yarn so if you have any leftover from another project, you can put it to good use.

Mmmalabrigo Glovies

These were so fun and fast to knit up.  I made a pair for my cousin, my aunt and a friend.  I want to make more since I have lots of scrap yarn left over from other projects.





You can see the finished product in the picture above.  My coworker enlisted me to make a hat for her Little Sister (she is in the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program).  She wanted purple and a hat but she left the pattern and exact specifications up to me.  I made the hat above and it was fun!  It took a lot of new skills that I had to teach myself but I like how the finished pattern looks like a cable but is actually lace.

See how pretty?


Since I had some yarn leftover from the Elleby hat, I made a pair of glovies as well.  Since I didn't have enough of the purple, I added some black.  I really like how they turned out.

Socks

I don't have a pattern to link to this project since my instructor provided a print out of her personal sock pattern.

I really enjoyed taking a class.  The instructor was so nice and made it easy to learn.  We were to come to class with worsted weight yarn and needles and she would provide the pattern.  I learned a new cast on technique, how to knit on double pointed needles (this is huge for me as I thought they were intimidating) and how to make a gusset.

I adore how my socks turned out.

In progress:


Finished pair!


Details of how the sock looks:


I am just about finished the second pair and have plans to make a third and fourth pair.  The pattern the instructor provided has a calculation for any weight yarn and any size foot.  There are so many options for sock yarn out there and I am excited to try some!

Jazz Age Cowl

Every time I would shop at my favorite yarn store, Twisted, this cowl would grab my attention.  I looked at it probably 6 times until one day I decided to buy the pattern.

I made the double loop cowl in my favorite yarn and it turned out beautiful.  It is incredibly soft and will look gorgeous with a winter coat or just as an accessory to an outfit.  I haven't decided if I am going to keep this one for myself or give it away as a gift.  If I give it away, I will knit up a coordinating hat or gloves since I have a whole skein of yarn left over.



Cloudy Sunday Sweater

I got this pattern from a recommendation.  I wanted an easy pattern for my first sweater.  In hindsight, I should have made a child's sweater, but oh well.  This one knit up pretty fast.  I am not 100% happy with it because my seaming stinks and I am still learning how to pick up stitches.  The arm holes fit me pretty funny too but that is because of my poor seaming skills.  I made it in an extra large and it's plenty big.  It's big enough to wear with jeans, skinny jeans or leggings.

Also, I didn't use expensive yarn to make this.  I wanted to buy cheap-ish yarn in case it turned out terribly. Why waste over $60 in yarn if it looks awful?


What am I working on now?

I currently have two projects I am actively working on:  Socks and a sweater for Jack.  I also have a blanket that I pick up every now and than.  It's a simple striped blanket from the Purl Bee website in jewel tone colors.  Here is all the yarn and the progress of the blanket:



The blanket is a simple garter stitch which means I just knit the entire time.  It will be about the size of a lap blanket.  I have no clue if this will be a gift or not.  I guess I need to see how it looks when it's complete.

That's all for now!  I am sure as the holidays creep up on us, I will have a ton more projects.

No comments:

Post a Comment