Monday, August 25, 2014

Oaks Park

We have been packing activities in all summer and this weekend was no exception.  Even though Jack was getting over tonsilitis, he had been fever free for 48 hours on Sunday.  We had discount passes to a local amusement park, so we woke up the boys early from nap and headed out.  Neither Jason or I told the boys where we were going so it was extra fun once we pulled into the parking lot and they figured it out.

It was about 80 degrees yesterday and the park is in full sun with some shade from the trees.  Thankfully there was a nice breeze coming in off the river otherwise we would have sweat to death.

The very first ride the boys went on was this motorcycle ride.  Jack was super excited, but you can tell from the picture that Cal was a little hesitant.  After he realized that there was a horn and the bike did wheelies, he warmed up a bit.

The next ride the boys rode was this frog jumper one.  Jack loved it but this picture fully sums up Cal's reaction:  Not sure what to think.

Jack wanted to go on the little roller coaster so I took Cal on some rides more his speed while Jason braved the roller coaster line.  By this time, Cal was starting to really love the rides.  It was so cute when he would come around the ride and see me.  He would wave frantically and yell "Hi Mama!".  

On the carousel.  Hot as blazes.  Don't mind my gross red, sweaty face.  Cal would say "Up.  Down."  every time the horse would move.  So cute.

This is the only roller coaster picture I have.  It's hard to get one when it's moving so fast.  Jason and Cal are in the green car and you can't tell but Jack is hovered down and Jason's arm is around him.  He claims he loved the ride but Jason said he was really unsure with how fast it was moving.

Thank goodness for Jason.  He took the boys on a lot of rides that I just can't do.  I get severe motion sickness and anything that spins is off the table.  Like this hot air balloon ride.  The height doesn't bother me, but those baskets spin.  No thank you.

We took a quick break to get something to eat, hydrate and sit in the shade.  The boys ate a little - I had packed some healthier snacks so I didn't feel as guilty feeding them corn dogs or hot dogs.  Cal barely ate anyways.  It was nice to sit in the shade for a bit.  By the time we were done eating, it was much less sunny out.  It was getting towards dinner time and the sun was moving.  Thank goodness!

We stood in line for the ferris wheel and both boys loved it!  The boys really wanted to ride the train and it just so happen that there was no line.  By this time, the park had slowed down quite a bit, which was really nice.  

This ride was fun for the kids.  Not only did the boats fly up in the air, they jumped!  Cal thought it was just the best.  This was my attempt at getting the kids to say cheese for the camera.

Let me on, let me on!

Here is another ride that I wouldn't do so Jason took the boys.  Of course, they loved it and they rode it twice.

The rides were almost at closing time (they shut down at 7:00) so Jack and Cal played this fishing game and they each won a duck.  Cal saw another game with a Dora the Explorer poster as a prize and he yelled "DORA!".  Jason played some darts and won the Dora poster as well as two others.

After another ride on the carousel, the park was closing so we headed out.  The boys were promised an Icee so we stopped at the store on the way home to pick up an Icee and a couple of snacks.

Miraculously, bed time was a non-struggle.  Probably because the boys were so tired!  They went down a little later than normal and fell right asleep.

I am so glad we had this adventure.  I tried to be flexible, starting with a short nap and with what the kids ate for dinner, what time we ate, and bedtime.  It is pretty rare that we shift from the schedule and the boys really enjoyed themselves.  It is really fun to watch how excited they get over "kid" stuff.  It makes being a parent fun.  I can relive my childhood through them.

No comments:

Post a Comment