Monday, January 30, 2012

Mish Mash

Wow, where has the time gone?  Oh yeah, I know.  Taking care of two under two.  It's no joke people.  It is hard work.  I have the utmost respect for stay-at-home moms and people who do this alone.  Thank goodness I have Jason to help otherwise I would be crazy.

* Cal is officially off the boob.  He got worse and worse with eating/latching so I threw in the towel and am exclusively pumping.  And you know what?  I am perfectly okay with it.  I never thought I would be so calm about the whole process but if this is what works for us, so be it.  I hope to continue pumping for as long as I can.

* Cal had his 2 week appointment and he is now officially nicknamed "Chunky Monkey".  He left the hospital at 7 pounds 7 ounces, gained 4 ounces by the next day and by two weeks, had surpassed his birthweight of 8 pounds 4 ounces.  As of his 2 week appointment, he weighed 8 pounds 9.5 ounces.  So my boob juice is doing its job. 

* This child LOVES to eat.  Unlike his brother.  Jack would take 1/2 an ounce every 30 minutes (due to his reflux).  We were constantly fighting with feeding him and battling spit up.  This guy?  He eats 2 ounce bottles every 2 hours like clockwork.  He still seems hungry at certain times though so we are bumping him up to 2.25 ounces.

* I put a cloth diaper on him for the first time yesterday just to see how the fit was.  I figure that he was close to 9 pounds and the diapers say 7-35 pounds so why not try?  I had read on a lot of forums that newborns won't even come close to fitting one sized diapers until 12 pounds so not to bother.  Welp, in our case, that was wrong.  I put a Charlie Banana diaper with a small insert on him (fit to the smallest setting - XS) and it fit fine!  We had no issues with leaks or anything.  Now I am really looking forward to using up the disposables we got as gifts so I can exclusively put him in cloth.

* Um folks, as of Thursday, I will have a 2 YEAR OLD!  Holy crap.  Where on earth did my baby go?  He is doing so many adult things these days that it boggles my mind.  A couple of Fridays ago (Cal was a little over a week old) we took Jack to OMSI for a special day.  Nana watched Cal so we could have one on one time with Jack.  I watched as my baby sat in a booster seat and ate a sandwich at the table for lunch.  Good grief.  He just looked so.........adult.  I took plenty of pictures with my phone.

* Speaking of phones.  I got a new cell phone as my birthday gift from Jason.  Welcome to the world of Smart phones!  I am having a blast browsing the internet while doing mundane tasks.  Now I don't have to haul out my laptop unless I want to post on my blog.  I can read others' but just can't type fast enough to post on my own.

* I am using the Moby wrap a lot with this baby.  I had one with Jack but since I was dumb about tying it correctly I hated it.  I now am officially hooked.  I use it to calm my fussy man that doesn't seem to want to sleep anywhere other than Mommy's chest.  I wear him while he naps and do chores around the house.  I have vaccuumed, done dishes, given Jack a bath, cooked dinner, and even gone to the bathroom wearing this thing.  I heart it.  I am even wearing it right now.  It's just so much easier.

* Our little parrot (Jack) is saying so many things.  The child is speaking in full on sentences.  Albeit, only two or three words but still!  Sentences!  He loves to name colors.  His favorite thing is to say "Daddy car black.  Momma car brown.  Papa car red.  Nana car blue".  As you can see, he is learning colors and already he has mastered blue, red, yellow and green.  He can most of the time get black, grey, white and brown.  Grey comes out "gay" and hopefully random strangers don't side eye us for that.

* We are doing a very low-key party for Jack on Saturday.  We are having it over at my in-laws house and it's just going to be us and them.  We were going to have pizza but since my in-laws might be going out to dinner we decided just cake and ice cream and presents.  I didn't even buy very much for him since Christmas was so plentiful. 

* Does anyone else find it hard to take pictures of their kids once a new one comes into the picture?  Seriously, I find it so hard to remember to pick up my camera (I got a very fancy new one for Christmas) when I am busy chasing toddlers, picking up toys so they don't become death traps and changing poopy diapers.  I really need to get better about that.

* I have survived being at home alone a couple of times.  Jason has gone out with the boys a couple of times since Cal was born and guess what?  I didn't melt!  I survived.  Now, if I had to do it for hours and hours on end, I might have permanently grey hair. 

* I have been cooking a lot lately.  Due to our new budget with me at 60% of my pay (I am on short term disability for my maternity leave) and Jason bringing in no money, I have been cooking almost every night.  The nights I don't cook are leftover nights.  Last night was barbeque beef in the crockpot and tonight is spaghetti pie.  I am finding quick, easy, and cheap meals to make and so far, it's working out.  Secretly, it gives me some time away from dealing with temper tantrums every three seconds.

That is about it on the homefront.  And since I suck at updating my blog, here are some pictures of my little men. 


2 comments:

  1. So cute! Isn't it cool to see how similar yet different your two babies look? :)

    I'm glad the diapers are working for you. I have heard that CBs are great for newborns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1/31/2012

    So cute! It was good to hear an update from you ;). I wish I could have pumped longer, but I only lasted a week before my juice gave out. You go, girl! Also, I am so excited you are a cloth diaper momma! I love them!

    ReplyDelete