* Last week, Jack decided to take a header off our bed into my desk. I was on a conference call at work and Jack was on the bed watching tv because Jason and Cal were napping. All of a sudden I hear, thud and then screaming. In the second that it took me to say "Oh shit", hang up the phone and pick him up, he had split his forehead open and develop a really nasty looking goose egg. His head didn't bleed which was so weird. After an hour of icing it and milking sympathy, he was fine. I called his doctor in the middle of all of this and because he wasn't showing any signs of a concussion, I didn't need to bring him in. A week later, he still has a scab on his forehead but he's completely okay.
* Cal wanted to be just like his big brother and he took a tumble the other day too. As you can see, he is completely thrilled with me taking his picture. He has that lovely scrape on his forehead and that red spot above his eye. Poor baby.
* I have been cooking a ton lately but it's all repeats. With the exception of a few things. I made these yummy muffins. Just a side note that I have had these silicon muffin liners forever and have never used them. I found them in the bottom of a drawer and tried them out. LOVE THEM!
For dinner on Monday, we had this for dinner:
Chile-Brined Roasted Pork Loin, roasted red potatoes, roasted broccoli with parmesan and rolls. It's okay, you can be jealous. My friend brought over two bottles of wine and enjoyed dinner with us.
* I am taking a knitting class starting at the end of September. My friend (yes, I have friends) asked if I would be interested. It has been years since I have knitted anything and I would like to pick up a hobby again. I used to only know how to knit scarves. For the first class, you pick a project and that is what you work on during class. I think I want to pick a hat. I would love to be able to knit cute hats for the boys and for me!
* Jack started pre-pre-school last week. It's for 90 minutes two times a week. The first day the parent is supposed to stay with the child to get them comfortable in the classroom. After that, the child is on their own. The "school" is Montavilla Community Center through the Portland Parks program. It's inexpensive and the teacher's credentials are great. The class size is small (10 kiddos and 2 teachers) and they will learn lots of social and life skills. Here are some pictures of Jack's first day at school:
In the car ready to go. Fresh haircut, backpack, new school clothes and shoes.
In front of school waiting to go in. Not sure why he's giving the stink face.
Exploring the new toys.
Overall, he did great! He still cries a wee bit at drop off but as soon as I am out the door, he stops. He also is on his best behavior. I asked his teacher if he plays well with other kids, shares, hits, etc. He does share, does not hit and is pretty good. He does need to be told to sit still and come sit with the others but that is manageable. What can I say? My kid loves to run around.
* I cleaned our our linen closet. I am embarrassed to show you the before. But here goes.
And the after. Not too shabby. I have been putting this project off as well as cleaning my kitchen cabinets out. Even though they don't take much time, they are a pain in the ass to do.
* I made Jack a really cool snack yesterday. If you are a Pinterest fan (which I am not but that's beside the point) you have probably seen the snack in the muffin tin. I gave him grapes, raspberries, some dry cereal, goldfish crackers and mini peanut butter crackers. He stared at me like I was crazy.
* Here is why I hate Pinterest: I feel overwhelmed and like I have ADHD. Plus, I am not crafty. At all. I will occasionally log on to see if I have changed my mind and then immediately get out. Too.Much.Stuff! I do have a couple of boards that I use for recipes and a couple of other random boards but I hardly ever update them.
* Both boys are sleeping pretty well at night. Cal is waking up about 2 times (now I just jinxed myself) and Jack usually sleeps through. However, the past few nights Jack has complained about either leg or foot pain. I think it's growing pains. I remember being his age and having really bad aches in my legs and crying a lot about it.
* I am trying to find a fun family activity for this Saturday. One that we can go to in the morning and the boys can have their nap in the afternoon. I am considering Sauvie's Island. Jack can enjoy the barn, I can enjoy the fresh produce and Jason........Well maybe Jason won't love it that much but oh well. I need someone else to help me wrangle a child.
And because there just aren't enough pictures in this post. Enjoy a couple of my cute kiddos.
Excited about bath time!
I wanted to post one of him standing up but don't want to show baby peen on the blog.
"Playing" together on the couch. This is rare folks. Jack is usually trying to roll on, take toys or generally not be nice to his brother.
That's all for now. One day I will be inspired to post interesting stuff.