Monday, August 2, 2010

6 Month Appointment

Today, Jack Jack had his 6 month pediatrician appointment. I felt bad scheduling it on his 6 month birthday, but it was the only available opening.

He did so great! I was worried about him gagging and throwing up the Rotavirus vaccine like he did two months ago, but he didn't!

He officially weighs 17 pounds 11 ounces (60th percentile) and 27.25 inches (80th percentile). He has been pretty consistent with his weights and measurements and usually stays in the same percentiles.

We got to his appointment on time and didn't even have to wait. Jack had a blast staring at himself in the mirror and sitting on the exam table. He played with the paper covering and shredded it to pieces. Funny how they get excited over the most simple things. He was shrieking and yelling and having a grand ole time even though I had to wake him from a nap in his carseat. I am lucky to have such a generally happy boy.

I talked to Dr. D about what to give Jack after orange veggies. I always thought it was green veggies but she told me to move on to orange and yellow fruits. This makes me really happy since I am thinking my boy is going to take after his Mommy and prefer sweets. More on that later.

After the appointment, Jack got his shots and immunizations. Icky. He always does so great but I was nervous about his oral vaccine. He surprised me. I came armed with a bib and a blanket to clean up the throw up. He was stripped down to nothing but a diaper in case he threw up like last time. Although he cried, arched and spit out a lot of the medicine, he didn't throw up. He doesn't cry for his shots, but this time he did. I think he was just generally irritated that he had to get icky tasting medicine. He didn't cry for the first one, but he wailed for the second. After a quick snuggle with Mommy, he was all better.

He needs to start taking flouride and vitamin supplement. Not looking forward to this folks. It's just another medicine to give him. Let's hope he doesn't gag.

The low point of the appointment is when I talked to Dr. D about his sleeping. She recommended cry it out. I can't do it folks, I really can't. I don't have the heart to let him cry. She could tell that it made me really anxious so she suggested putting him down when he's fully awake. I am not sure that is going to work either. He is like trying to tame a Tazmanian devil when he's tired. He flails, arches, cries and gets really rowdy. I imagine putting him down when he's awake will be like trying to tame a wild beast. Going in every five minutes to pat his belly just won't work.

I am going to do some more reading before resorting to either of her options. Honestly, his sleep sucks, but you know what? I am not sure it's a problem for him. It's a problem for us, but it's been 6 months. What's a few more months? I have three books checked out from the library on sleep. If they don't work, I will see about putting him down fully awake for two weeks like Dr. D suggested.

When we got home, guess what? He got peaches! And guess what? HE LOVED THEM. I couldn't shovel them into his mouth fast enough. He got fussy in between bites until he saw the spoon coming. Tonight was the most amount of food he has ever eaten. He ate about a quarter of the jar of peaches!

I can't believe how fast 6 months has gone by and I can't believe how big my baby has gotten. Good gracious!

No comments:

Post a Comment