Monday, February 7, 2011

12 Month Appointment

Today was Jack's 12 month pediatrician appointment, and I am so glad it was today. More on that later.

I was in for a lot of surprises today, but all good ones! When I picked Jack up today, I asked Karen what they had for lunch. Turns out they had spaghetti and meatballs. Um what? My child doesn't like tomato sauce. Or meat. Yeah......apparently he does. Well that's great! He is finally eating some protein. I can feed him something other than peanut butter and know that he is getting some protein.

We got to the pediatrician's office and Jack didn't want to be held. He wanted to get down and observe and play with the other kids. And bang on the fish tank. I put him down and at first he was hesitant and grabbed on to my leg. Then he saw the kids playing on the play structure and it was game over. My kid was socializing and then showed off for everyone and started climbing the stairs. What? WHAT?!? Where on earth did he learn to do that? There aren't stairs at my house, Nana's house or Karen's house. I was shocked. Two surprises in one day.

Jack's appointment went pretty well. He weighs 22.5 pounds (45th percentile) and is 30.25 inches tall (85th percentile). We talked about his eating and drinking and such. He can now have whole milk, which is great! I am hoping that this transition will help his sleep and his eating. The pediatrician would like him weaned off the pacifier and bottle by 15 months. That is going to prove slightly harder. Jack flirted with the nurses and the doctor. He usually is scared and very timid. Not today! Surprise number three.

Guess what? Jack has an ear infection. Surprise number four. Remember when I said I was glad that I took him in today? That's why. I didn't even know it (talk about feeling like a bad mom by the way). I thought his not so great sleeping (tossing and turning at night) and drooling and general fussiness was chalked up to teething. Not so much.

On our way home, we stopped at the store to pick up a prescription for his ear infection, and while we waited, we did some grocery shopping. I wanted to pick up some whole milk and a few other necessities. Like cookies. Those are always a necessity.

At home, Jack was tired but needed to eat some dinner. I gave him a sippy cup of milk with dinner and he didn't want anything to do with it until I took the lid off. He wanted to drink like a big boy out of the cup. When I did that he LOVED the milk. Surprise number five. So much in fact that when he wanted to go down for a nap, instead of giving him formula, I gave him milk. He loved loved loved it. I guess the transition to milk won't be so bad.

Today was full of pleasant surprises, except for that whole pesky ear infection thing. It seems that overnight, my baby has transformed to a full-blown toddler. It's crazy. It was like his birthday flipped a switch.

And speaking of his birthday, look for a separate post on that soon!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2/08/2011

    Yay Jack! So glad that things went well today (aside from the ear infection...seems like he's handling it well though, most babies would be screaming their heads off!).

    Isn't it amazing how much they chance seemly overnight? I still can't get over the fact that we all have 1 year olds now (i started following your blog right around when you got PG with jack and I was PG with Noah). I'm glad that Jack likes milk, I was worried about the transition too but Noah seems to be cool with the switch as well.

    Le sigh...they're growing up...