Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Tasty Tuesday

I have been cooking lately but most of the recipes are repeats.  Our dinners are in a rut so I am making an effort to meal plan ahead of time, not on the day I am shopping.  That way, I have time to find fun recipes and make a good list.

Here are a couple of things I have made lately.

Easy Chicken Parmesan

I used a variation of the recipe linked above.


I should have put the sauce on the bottom of the pan rather than over the chicken breasts.  I think the chicken would have been crispier.  Also, I didn't use fresh mozzarella.  I always have shredded cheese on hand so I didn't want to buy fresh mozzarella just for one recipe.

I could have had about 8 servings of this because it was so good.

Reuben Noodle Bake

Don't get grossed out.  It's honestly good.  If you like Reuben sandwiches, you will like this casserole.

I have made this once before many years ago and Jason insists he doesn't remember it.  Oh well.  At any rate, I don't have a link to the recipe so you have to see it the old fashioned way:  All typed out.

From: Favorite Brand Name Best Loved Casseroles

8 ounces uncooked egg noodles
5 ounces thinly sliced deli-style corned beef
1 can (14.5 oz) sauerkraut with caraway seeds, drained
2 cups (8 oz) shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 cup Thousand Island dressing
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
2 slices pumpernickel bread (I used rye for more of an authentic Reuben)
1 tablespoon margarine or butter, melted (I omitted this)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.

Cook noodles according to package directions.  Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, cut corned beef into bite-sized pieces.  Combine noodles, corned beef, sauerkraut and cheese in large bowl.  Pour into prepared dish.

Combine dressing, milk and mustard in small bowl. Spoon dressing mixture over noodle mixture.

Tear bread into large pieces.  Process in food processor or blender until crumbs form.  Combine bread crumbs and margarine in a small bowl; sprinkle evenly over casserole.

Bake, uncovered, 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through.



I love that I have a glass of wine in this picture and that it's mere inches away from Cal's plate.  Ha!


This was a fun recipe to make.  It's like eating a crustless quiche and as you can see from the picture, we served it with cinnamon rolls (not homemade - I am not that ambitious).  Breakfast for dinner!

This was super good.  Jack helped me make it and I thought maybe that would encourage him to eat it, but alas, it sat untouched.  Cal liked it with the exception of the cream cheese.  

I will definitely make this again but with different veggies.  I think it would be delicious with spinach, tomatoes Feta cheese, and Kalamata olives.  


I am already planning ahead for the next couple of weeks and making my list.  So far, I have the following meals picked out:

Slow Cooker Pork and Green Chile Stew
Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese with Caramelized Onions and Apples
Mediterranean Chicken Stew with Polenta

Fall is in the air with all these rich, fall flavors.

Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment