Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Recipe Round-Up

Just a quick Weight Watchers check-in:  I am down a pound. It's a loss!  I don't care what the loss is, even if it's .2 pounds.  I am trending downward and that is all that matters.

I am going to post some recipes, links and pictures below on the things I have cooked lately.  If it's a Weight Watchers friendly recipe, I have also added the Points Plus per serving.  I hope you make some of these!

Summer Vegetables with Sausage and Potatoes

I can't profess my love for Skinnytaste enough.  Many of my recipes come from Gina and her website.  She never disappoints.

My favorite thing about this recipe besides the taste is that it cooks all in one pan! Makes for super easy clean up.  I loved how fresh this recipe was with the rosemary and all the in-season veggies.  Peppers sauteed are one of my favorite veggies so this was perfect for me.  At 8 Points Plus per serving, this was filling and satisfying.



This is a Cooking Light recipe I made a few years ago that I decided to resurrect.  It's fairly easy to make and super yummy.  This is 11 Points Plus a serving but it's a big calzone so worth the high Points.  

I added extra cheese and sauce to my hubby's and kiddo's calzones so they wouldn't feel "cheated" by not a lot of cheese (which seems silly to me!).  


I served roasted broccoli with this and it was a very filling dinner.  Have you tried roasted broccoli?  It's VERY easy and super yummy.  We do roasted veggies a lot since it gives them such a different flavor.

Cheeseburger Casserole

I made this recipe at the suggestion of a friend.  Sadly, I won't be making it again because the hubby didn't like it.  I don't know why?!  It was really good!  It really did taste like a cheeseburger in casserole format.  I will be eating the leftovers for lunch so more for me!

Why yes, those are chopped pickles on the top.  It gave the casserole a nice unexpected crispy crunch.  At 7 Points Plus per one cup serving, this was a great and easy pasta dish.  It only took about 15 minutes to prep and another 15 to bake.


Crispy Chicken Fingers

This was on my sister's Pinterest page (Thanks Carrie!) so I thought I would try it.  Generally Jason doesn't like baked chicken fingers because they aren't "authentic" or crispy enough.  He really really like these.  He asked if I would make them again.  Sure honey!

My only complaint is that they were slightly soggy on the bottom.  That was probably my fault since I was baking them on a different pan than I would normally use.

These were slightly sweet due to the cornflakes I used - some cheap generic brand.  Next time I will probably splurge and get a brand name box so they weren't as sweet.  I loved the addition of the honey and mustard to the batter.


These ended up being 5 Points Plus per serving.


Another Skinnytaste recipe!  I adore that this is only essentially two ingredients.  Chicken and salsa.  Done.  I also love that you can throw this in the crockpot and just forget about it.  I used chicken breasts rather than tenders and put them in frozen.  I cooked on low for about 5 hours before shredding the meat and adding it back to the crock pot.  3 Points Plus per serving.  

Since it was Cinco de Mayo the day I made this, I whipped up some Spanish rice.  Recipe here.  I was shocked at how easy and tasty it was!  No more boxes of Spanish rice.  



Spicy Thai Noodles

This is not a Weight Watchers friendly recipe but need to post it.  It was amazing.  I made it a few weeks ago and it was sooooo good.  If there was a way to lighten it up I would absolutely make it again.  In order to satisfy my meat-eater husband I thinly sliced some chicken breast to add to the noodles when they were done cooking.

This recipe takes a ton of sesame oil and vegetable oil (I used canola) but the results are worth it.  You could definitely cut down on the oil a bit because there was a puddle in the bottom of our dishes when we were done.

Just looking at the picture below makes me want a huge dish of those noodles.  Gah!


Finally, I kept hearing about this ice cream that is made from just a banana.  So I did a little Googling and found a few sites related to bananas and ice cream.  I like this one in particular.  She adds peanut butter and cocoa to her "ice cream" but you could add berries, some coconut, or anything really.

I made it and was very surprised!  It is a sweet treat and if you half the recipe and make two servings out of that (a fourth of the original recipe really), it's only 1 Points Plus for quite a big serving size.

Here are some of the recipes I have lined up for this coming week and days:

Quick Skillet Steak with Mushrooms and Onions - I have made this one before.  It's great!

Stay tuned for more yummy recipes soon!

1 comment:

  1. I've made the chicken & basil calzone recipe before and I'm a fan! I'm intrigued by the spicy thai noodles and the cheeseburger casserole. Thanks for sharing these!

    ReplyDelete