Saturday, June 19, 2010

How We Live

I am stealing this idea from someone else's blog (thanks for the idea Ibis!). She posted pictures of her house in its current state. I wanted to do this as well.

Since we have such a tiny (very tiny) house, it is important to me to keep it tidy. Not necessarily spotless, but tidy. I try to keep the clutter to a minimum.

Without further ado, here is our house in its current state:

This is our living room, where I spend the majority of my time. Food Network is on in the background (yes, my child is subjected to tv, gasp!!!). On the coffee table is a variety of baby paraphenalia. Bottle, pacifiers, burp cloth. I always have a water bottle and my cell phone. I reuse water bottles so recycle Nazi's can calm down. My pill bottle sits here also because I will forget to take them unless they are right in front of my face.

You can see that there are baby toys in the middle of our living room. Jack and I play here when he's awake and happy. If he's awake and not happy, I pace around the living room trying to get his gas out or just walking and holding him.

We got back from errands earlier, so Jack's carseat and diaper bag are by the front door. They usually sit there, unless company is coming over. Then I move them to his room.

The basket below the coffee table also has a variety of baby stuff: Extra burp cloths, gas drops, his swaddle blanket and extra pacifiers. Even though our house is small, I am lazy and don't feel like getting up and going into Jack's room to get his necessities.

The Boppy sits on the couch, or on the back of the couch, depending on if Jack is awake or asleep. He sleeps in the Boppy in the living room at night when Jason watches him. Since he wakes up every hour or so, Jason hates to put him in the crib. He can see when he starts to stir and can attend to him much more quickly this way. Yes, I know, this sets up some bad habits for later. We don't care.


My laptop usually sits on the end table (you can see the cord on top). The bouncer is over in the corner easily accessible for when we need it.

Below the end table you can see my pump. I leave it here all the time on the weekends. I pump right on the couch in front of the window. Don't worry, I cover up so no one can tell what I am doing. I personally don't want to close the stupid window every time just in case someone walking by might see and get offended. They can shove it.


Our tiny kitchen. Notice the laundry in both the washer and dryer. I do all our laundry on Saturday. When I was home on maternity leave, I would do a load every other day. Now, I do about four to five loads on Saturday. Notice the hamper in the corner and the small pile of dirty laundry on the floor. I told you my house isn't spotless.

On top of the dryer is Jack's bottles, my lunch bag and the bag I store Jack's bottles when he goes to Karen's. Since our kitchen is tiny, I utilize every bit of space I can.

The dish rack is always on the counter, unless we have company. I wash dishes all day because I can't stand to have dirty dishes in the sink. Oh hey, I am out of paper towels. That's the empty paper towel rack above the sink. Currently, when this picture was taken, there was no dirty dishes in the sink (I swear!).

On the other counter sits our microwave, coffee pot, knife block and utensil holder. Jack's bottle warmer sits on the stove. We move it if we cook or run the oven.


The last picture is Jack's room. His room is usually the most clean. Are you horrified that our pet rat, Lucy, is in Jack's room? Well, where else would we put her?

The only thing out of place in this picture is the sleeper on Jack's changing table. He wore it for less than 30 minutes this morning after he had a diaper blowout. I put a fresh sleeper on him and then ended up putting him in normal clothes after a while. I will just have him wear his sleeper again tonight for bed.

Our closet is off to the left in this picture. I occasionally will have some clothes on the floor. Usually, it's just my pajamas from the night before. Sometimes, I am lazy and will take my clothes off from work and throw them on the floor. I hang them or put them in the hamper later.


I refuse to post pictures of our bedroom. I am not a masochist. It's not dirty. It's just not perfectly spotless. It could use a good dusting and I don't typically make the bed every day. Plus, when I took these pictures, my husband was still sleeping.

This is how we live. It's not immaculate. There might be some dust on the picture frames and an item or two out on the coffee table, but there you have it. It's our tiny house. We made do when Jack came along. You don't need to have a McMansion to live with a baby. It might be easier, but it's not a requirement.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6/19/2010

    This is probably a lot nicer than our little house will look :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool! I love these.
    I didn't include our master either... it's just frightening.

    ReplyDelete