Sunday, March 20, 2011

Language

I have been wanting to post about Jack's talking, or lack thereof, for a while, but I didn't want to sound like a lunatic. Even though I still will sound like a lunatic, I don't care.

Jack doesn't talk much and I am concerned. He mostly babbles and uses "baby talk". I know I shouldn't compare babies, but I know lots of other babies his age that are using tons of words. Jack only says a few things: Mama, Dada, Up, Nana, Hello (sounds like Ella when he says it), and some random other things.

Should a 13.5 month old be saying more? I guess it depends right? I need to stop.

Instead of lamenting about his lack of language, I will focus on some pretty awesome things. The other day, Jack was looking at pictures with Nana and he pointed at a picture of himself. Nana said "Jack, that's you. Jack." Jack looked back at my mother-in-law and said, clear as day, "Jack". Good Lord, he knows his name! Here we thought he was going to think his name was "Bug" or "No".

Karen, Jack's daycare provider has been practicing some sign language with him. She did it with her own boys, so she does it with her daycare kids too. I actually didn't know she did this until Thursday when I picked him. She asked me if I practice sign with him. I admitted that I tried a few months ago but gave up. Maybe I shouldn't have, because he knows how to sign. He signs "more" and "milk" when he's at her house. Back the truck up! Now that I know he can do this, I started practicing those words with him at home. I also picked up a baby sign book and am trying other words like "Mommy", "Daddy" and "water".

I would appreciate comments on what words your kids know and how old they were when they first started talking.

2 comments:

  1. That sounds normal to me. Boys tend to get words later than girls... babbling is good.

    Miles is 14 mo and says Mommy (rarely), "Da Ting" for his favorite toy The Thing, "booboo" for peekaboo, and "baby." You might discover that some things you thought were babble are words... I just realized that "shit" is not babble or a cuss, he is copying us saying "sit" to the dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a link to more sign language information:) We are just starting to sign with Michael, and he looks like I'm crazy!

    http://www.mysmarthands.com/Site/Speech_and_language_milestones_for_hearing_children.html

    ReplyDelete