Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Beauty Favorites

Don't be too shocked.  I actually shower and get dressed every day.  I might not put on makeup or do my hair, but when I do, the following products are my favorites.


I am a huge fan of Garden Botanika's products.  When the physical stores closed, I was so so so disappointed.  I still order online but I seriously hope that one day they will open a store again.  I would be shopping there every week.  


I could sing praises about all the products from this company but if I had to choose my favorite, it would be the Garden Botanika Almond Creme lotion and shower gel.  The smell is amazing, the lotion leaves your skin soft and not greasy feeling.  This is my go-to product for my body and hands.  I use it at least twice a day.


I read about this product online and was hesitant to try it because it's spendy.  What if it didn't work?  I would be out $30.  But, I LOVE IT!

I have a condition on my arms called Keratosis Pilaris.  More commonly referred to as "chicken skin".  It makes my arms look super ugly and gross.  I am embarrassed to wear short sleeves or God forbid, tank tops.  


Even after a couple of days using this specialty product, I am pleased to say that it WORKS.  My arms are improving.  The product itself claims to reduce the chicken skin, redness and dryness associated with Keratosis Pilaris.  The lotion itself is thick, which I thought would be counteractive to what I thought was my problem skin.  Turns out, KP is caused by dry skin.  I am using it twice a day as instructed and my arms are hydrated and soft.

My arms are less red, and the bumps are starting to shrink.  The $36 that I spent at Ulta for this lotion is money well spent!  If you have KP, I highly recommend DERMAdoctor's KP Duty.


I have very naturally curly hair.  I have tried pretty much every product under the sun, every brand, every type from gel, mousse, pomade, creams, waxes.  Nothing works.  Or if it works, it works for a very limited time and my hair gets "used to" the product and loses its effectiveness.  

I have used this product for several years, ever since finding an awesome stylist who gave me awesome information on my curl type.  It doesn't leave my hair greasy, or sticky or stiff feeling.  It's spendy but since I don't style my hair every day, one tube lasts a long time.


If this product is ever discontinued, I am in a world of hurt.  Nothing comes close to how awesome this product is.  TIGI Curls Rock Curl Amplifier.  If the folks at TIGI are reading this, you can send me a free crate of this.  I won't object.


The first thing I love about this product is the smell.  It smells like lemon-lime soda.  It makes my hair smell amazing!  

I use this in conjunction with the Curls Rock Amplifying Creme.  I love the DevaCurl products, including the No Poo shampoo.  I do like their styling gels but my hair typically needs more hold than it provides.  I find that when I use this as my finisher, my hair is super soft, my curls are springy, they bounce and I get so many compliments.  

DevaCurl Set It Free:

I bought a travel size Set It Free, No Poo shampoo and their awesome conditioner to take with me to Denver.  I can't wait to style my hair and enjoy how it smells every day!

Nail Product

I don't treat myself to manicures or pedicures often but when I do, I like them to last a long time and be free from chips and dings.

I love this OPI RapiDry Spray Nail Polish Dryer.  You spray this on almost immediately after the final coat of polish.  It contains ingredients that help your manicure set in about 45 seconds.  I can have the nail tech spray this on and almost immediately reach into my purse to grab my keys without worrying about dings in my polish.

I am getting a manicure and pedicure this weekend in preparation for my business trip.  You can be sure that I will be toting my bottle of this along.


It was hard for me to pick just one makeup favorite.  Like my nails, I don't do my makeup often (I work from home, what's the point?) but if I had to pick one item I couldn't live without, it would be cover-up.  I have terrible, hereditary undereye circles.  I have tried beauty products that claim to clear them up but guess what?  They don't work.  I have the type that are due to blood vessels too close to the skin.  The only thing that works is a good concealer.  I have tried many, many brands.  They either look cakey, like I am obviously wearing concealer, or they crease after an hour or so.  Not this one!

I searched far and wide and found that Temptu does an awesome job at covering my circles and staying put.  I put my foundation on first (if I am wearing any) and then concealer so the concealer doesn't come off.  I love the creamy consistency and I can either apply it directly from the stick or by using a brush.

I hope you found some of these products and reviews helpful!  They are what works for me and my hair/skin/body.  And by the way, my blog is not cool enough to have sponsors or ads, so all of these reviews are mine and I was not compensated for them.  Again, not cool enough.  Haha!

5 comments:

  1. 1. Garden Botanika is available still online??? My world is rocked.

    2. Get a shellac mani! Dries rock hard in minutes and NEVER chips. Mine is 3 weeks old and looks perfect still!

    3. Tigi Curls Rock is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and #4... turn off CAPTCHKA! It makes leaving you comments nearly impossible. I almost gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard that DermaDoctor stuff is amazing. I need to try it -- thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn, I didn't know I even had that stupid thing turned on! Thank you. I disabled it (I think). I LOVE a gel/shellac manicure. I might have to get one of those this weekend instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous8/25/2012

    Rachel! Where do you get your concealer?! Mom obviously blessed me with those circles too and nothing works :(

    ReplyDelete