Monday, August 6, 2012

Sleep, Glorious Sleep

Last night, I put Cal in his crib and he fell asleep without crying and slept for 10 hours straight.  It was so nice and peaceful in our house and I managed to get a good night of rest.

Wouldn't it be nice if the above was true?  Because it's not.  Not even close.  It hasn't been horrible per se but it hasn't been great either.

We started with Ferber on Friday.  I had the house and my mental state all prepared.  Jack was spending the night at Nana and Papa's so I could focus on getting Cal to sleep and not worry about having to take care of both kiddos in the middle of the night.

Ferber Night One

Cal went down at 8:15.  He had a full belly of milk and was comfy in his jammies and a sleep sack.  I tried prepping him and talking to him about how he was going to go night night in his crib.  I put him down in his crib on his back and he immediately cried.  He rolled over onto all fours and cried for a while.  I knew he was tired because he laid down and just fussed.  After the initial three minutes of crying, then another five minutes of crying, and then another couple of minutes into the ten minute session, he went to sleep.

He woke up several times during the night but I made sure to only feed him three times instead of the usual 6 or 7 that he is used to.  The plan was to get him to break the cycle of micro-feeding.  I would prefer he drink a full bottle so his belly is full rather than tiny amounts every hour.

Every time I would put him down in his crib, he would fuss for less than a minute but then fall asleep.  He seemed to learn very quickly that the crib was his place to sleep.

He woke for the day around 6:30 and was happy and forgot all about the torture he endured the night before.  I consider night one a success.

Ferber Night Two

Night two was a little more challenging.  I decided to continue with the night one schedule for intervals.  I am trying to be as gentle as possible if that makes any sense.  Jack was home and I first put Cal down in his crib and let him fuss for a few minutes.  He was out in less than 5 minutes.  Then I brought Jack to bed.  I had talked to him extensively about how Cal would be in his room from now on and how he would probably cry a little bit but it was okay.  I also made sure to tell Jack that he would be sleeping with the door open just a little (we had closed it all the way before so Jack couldn't run out into the living room in the middle of the night).  I also stressed that when we went to bed, we needed to be quiet so Cal wouldn't wake up.  Fail.  Jack was NOT quiet going to bed.  Cal wasn't quite asleep.  He had just stopped fussing.  So by bringing Jack in to bed, this disrupted the whole process.

It was well after 8:30 by the time I got both boys in bed and calmed down enough to sleep.

It was hotter than Hades on Saturday night and Jason was out with friends.  I was doing the wakings by myself.

Cal woke up a lot.  Like probably 4 times from 10:00 until 3:30 when I finally gave in and slept with him on the couch.  It was just too much.

In retrospect, putting him in with Jack was probably a big change.  He was wearing a Sleep Sack so he was probably too hot.  And he didn't nap well on Saturday so that probably wasn't smart - the whole Sleep Begets Sleep motto.

Ferber Night Three

A little change up.  This time, both boys went to bed at the same time.  Cal had napped well on Sunday so I was hoping that would help.  Plus, I had him in a light sleeper instead of the Sleep Sack because once again, it was hot.

He had some trouble going to sleep but I think that is because Jack was in the same room as him (again).  He will get used to this piece I am sure.  I went in after the initial 5 minute wait.  I waited another 7 minutes and went in again.  Then, during the 12 minute stretch, he got quiet.  I poked my head in ever so slightly and he was asleep.  Well, at least he looked asleep.  I couldn't see his eyes.  I did hear him breathing on the monitor so I know he was okay.

Cal slept until 11:00 or so and then woke to eat.  He had quite a rough time going back to sleep (fussing/whining/crying for about 5 minutes) and I was praying the entire time that he wouldn't wake up Jack. Thank goodness, he didn't.

He then slept until 2:00am and went back down fairly easily after his bottle.  He cried for less than a minute.

Then, somehow, a miracle occurred.  He slept until 6:15.  That is unheard of!  He only woke twice last night.  Amen!

I napped with him for another 30 minutes and we were awake for the day at 6:45.

Thoughts For Tonight

I know this is not necessarily going to solve all of Cal's problems sleeping.  I also know that I can't expect him to wake up only twice per night.  However, I am hopeful.  We are in a much better position than we were with Jack.  Jack didn't sleep even remotely well until he was close to 18 months old.

I plan on getting a fan for the boys' room since I don't like keeping the door open.  Not only can the cats get in, but they can hear every little peep that is made in the living room since we have a small house.  The fan will help with the heat as well as create some white noise.

I really really really hope this is the start of better sleep.

As I type this, Cal is enjoying his nice, long afternoon nap.  Sleep Begets Sleep.  Let's hope tonight is another good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment