Sunday, October 11, 2009

Registering

Boy, was that an adventure. I thought it would be oodles of fun. After all, we would get to pick out tons of cute baby stuff! I did like registering for our wedding, so why wouldn't I like registering for baby? It's not that I hated it, it was just stressful.

I even went prepared. I had started a wish list at Babies R Us and had read Baby Bargains to know what were good brands and bad brands. I knew we didn't need a lot of "extras" like a wipe warmer or special laundry detergent. We have a very small house so we don't need fancy special extra items. However, we do need certain things. Like say a crib. Oh and a highchair.

So, armed with my list, the husband and I headed out. I let him yield the scanner. I figure it would make it more fun for him. We started at the bottles. Easy enough. I only need a few since I plan on trying to breastfeed. I thought I would want the Play-Tex drop-ins. That way, I don't have to mess around with washing bottles. But the more I thought about it, I didn't know if they would be compatible with the breast pump I wanted to buy. Jason and I got into a heated discussion on just how breast pumps work. The poor man had to explain to me that you store the milk and then pour it into containers or bottles when you want to feed. Seriously, shouldn't I know that?!? Oh well, so we opted for Dr. Brown's. I figure we can wash them and I know they will work with our breastpump.

We made our way through washcloths, towels, bowls, bibs and to bathtubs. Who would have thought that my husband would want to be a fancy baby spa complete with jacuzzi setting? I needed to remind him: "720 square feet. Where would we store this?". He let me pick the whale shaped tub instead.

It was then on to the carseats and strollers. I had a certain brand in mind. After all, Baby Bargains rated it highly. However, when we say how easily the carseat would tip out of the stroller, even when locked in, we went with a different (and more pricey, ouch) brand. The funny thing? It had to match the interior of my husband's car. I really didn't care. He could pick the pattern. It's just a carseat after all.

Swings were fun. I wanted a full-size one but Jason found a smaller and more practical one. So much for reminding HIM about space. Sheesh. Then it was on to pack and plays. Very basic model. Bedding (sateen because Jason said it would feel good on the baby's skin, tee hee), diapers, cribs, toys.

After almost 2 hours, we were done. I was exhausted. I didn't think registering would be that hard. All in all, I think we ended up with about 70 items on the list. 70!? After 2 hours, that's it? There are still items that I want, like baby wash and Mylicon, but I figure those can be found at Target.

Thank God that's over. Even though picking out fabrics and models were fun, it was tiring. I hope I don't have to do that again. At least for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment