Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Eat - It's Good For You

I haven't done a Week's Worth of Dinner post recently because I have been making a few duplicate recipes and well, that's no fun to read.  Instead, I am catching up and posting the new recipes I have made over the past few weeks.

I will start with our favorite.  Crockpot Pulled Pork.  The author isn't kidding that this smells amazing.  We were conveniently out of the house that day which is good because I would have scratched my eyeballs out waiting for it to finish cooking.  It smelled that good.  It tasted that good as well.  I had my pulled pork over a whole wheat hamburger bun.  Jason had his with a regular hamburger bun.  

Amazing!  We ate the leftovers happily for days.  Sooooo good.  And the fruit salad I made with it wasn't too shabby either.


I made another crockpot recipe.  I love using my crockpot.  It's satisfying knowing that I can put all the ingredients in with minimal prep and then come back to dinner a few hours later.  Even in the summer, I use my crockpot.  Here is a Crockpot Chicken Cacciatore recipe.  It was pretty good although I would make some very slight modifications next time.  We like spicy food in our house so I would probably add some red pepper flakes, garlic, and some additional basil, oregano and such.  


I didn't use chicken on the bone but I bet if I had, it would have been more flavorful.  I served our cacciatore over whole wheat pasta.  We are carb lovers so I also made Olive Garden style breadsticks.  No recipe involved.  I just buy breadsticks from Costco, bake them and brush them with melted butter and garlic salt.  Easy and delicious.

Here is another chicken recipe that I made.  It was easy and tasty.  Even Jason liked it.  Chicken Piccata.  If you haven't noticed a theme, most of my recipes come from Skinny Taste.  Her blog is amazing by the way.  You MUST check it out.

I typically don't keep white wine on hand but I wanted to make this recipe as authentic as possible.  I bought a cute little box of white wine.  It was enough for this recipe and another and it was cheap!  Definitely a possibility if you aren't a wine drinker - I know a lot of people are thinking "Is there such a thing??!!  Not a wine drinker?"


I served our Chicken Piccata with whole wheat noodles that I lightly buttered and green beans.  The sauce was tart and salty and perfect!

A big favorite in our house is macaroni and cheese.  Any shape, any form.  I found this recipe, also from Skinny Taste:  Lighter Baked Macaroni and Cheese.  I really like it because it sneaks a veggie in and it doesn't lack in taste.  

Mine didn't turn out as pretty as her's.  It was still super yummy and I ate the leftovers for lunch for the entire week.  Have I ever mentioned how much I love using up leftovers?  Yup, I do.  I actually look forward to lunches if I have made a yummy dinner the night before.  

I liked the crunch this recipe provided by sticking the pan under the broiler.  What a good idea!  I might have to try this with other casseroles.


Jack even ate this, although he picked out anything green.  Little stinker.

This next recipe is going to be added to our rotation.  Not only was it super easy, it was super tasty and who doesn't love soup?  Stuffed Pepper Soup.  I didn't think a soup could taste like a stuffed pepper but I was wrong.  I used white rice instead of brown but the end result was the same.  


Yummmmm!  I am already looking forward to making this again.

I have a couple more recipes that I have made recently but I am going to save them for another post.

Right now though, I am off to make a new puree for Cal.  Apple, pear and blueberries.  I hope he likes it!

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7/19/2012

    Thank you for posting these great recipes Rachel! I am excited to try the pulled pork and the chicken picatta. I am trying so hard to stick to my "diet" of eating less, and I am often left uninspired when it comes to cooking healthy. I'll let you know how it all turns out :)

    Abby

    ReplyDelete