Friday, April 13, 2012

A Week's Worth of Dinners

I had a lot of fun the last time I did this post so I thought I would continue it.

Sunday was Easter and we ate Easter dinner over at my in-laws' house.  Alas, I didn't cook anything other than a cake (see previous post) so I don't have anything to add for Sunday.

Monday night was burrito night.  I am on-call this week for work which generally means I can be called away from family time at any moment.  This means that I need super simple meals.  Either they need to take a couple of minutes to prepare or they need to be a crockpot meal.  Burritos is one of my "cheater" meals which means it takes nothing more than heating up some beans and cooking some ground beef.

I don't have any pictures because we all know what a burrito looks like.  Burrito night entails cooking a pound of ground beef, stirring in some taco seasoning, heating up beans, shredding some cheese, and taking out the sour cream and salsa from the fridge.  From there, we all just put together our burritos and eat. 

Tuesday night was Pizza Crescent night.  These are very simple to assemble and take about 5 minutes to do so.  I don't use a formal recipe other than the one linked above to tell me what temperature to set the oven and how long to bake.  We ate these with a salad and green beans.  I like this type of meal because if it's anything pizza related, Jack will usually eat it.  And he did.


Wednesday night was Taco Bake night.  This is a meal made in the crockpot and it's very easy.  It does take a little bit of prep time beforehand but nothing more complicated than browning some ground beef and cooking the onion and then simmering some ingredients. 

This recipe makes a ton so it's good for lunch time leftovers.  You could serve this with a salad and make a complete meal.


Thursday night was Brown Sugar Chicken in the crockpot.  No, this is not a typo.  I used a combination of chicken thighs and breasts since I had a couple of thighs to use up.  Once again, this was an easy recipe and required nothing more than measuring some sugar and dumping a bunch of stuff in the crockpot.  The rice was done in the rice cooker so it was super easy as well. 

This recipe was very good.  I didn't find the chicken overly sweet.  It tasted more like an Asian teriyaki more than anything.  I do not have a picture of this dish but I assure you it looks exactly like the picture posted on the recipe blog. 

Friday (today) night is dinner over at the in-laws so no recipe today.  Tomorrow is Jason's game night with the guys so again, no cooking.  Jack will of course get something yummy for dinner, either English muffin pizzas or a quesadilla (both favorites of his).

Bonus Dessert Recipe!

I wanted to bake on Saturday night, which in itself is crazy because I was home alone with the boys.  I figure I could handle it though since Jack was in his highchair eating dinner.  I plopped Cal in his bouncer and we baked together.  I wanted to make brownies but something out of the ordinary and not just the usual chocolate.  I scanned Cooks.com and came across this recipe and whipped it up in no time!

My only issue was that I slightly overbaked the brownies.  They were SUPER rich and mighty tasty.  Next time, I won't be overbaking. 

Lovely aren't they?


On the menu for next week:

* Baked Chicken Nuggets and Fries
* Ham, Cheese and Broccoli Quiche
* Baked Ham, Potatoes and Rolls
* Baked Ziti with Spinach
* Spaghetti and Meatballs

No comments:

Post a Comment