Cal is officially a third of a year old (4 months for those who can't do math)! Due to our insane schedule last week, I didn't get a chance to blog. I will post an update of our week but for now, it's all about Calvin.
Calvin had his 4 month well baby appointment on Thursday. He was such a good boy for the appointment! I took him solo since the rest of my family was at the coast (jealous!).
Here are his stats:
16.4 pounds (75th percentile)
25.5 inches (75th percentile)
My baby is perfectly proportioned!
I chatted with the doctor about food and he has shown quite the interest in our meals. That being said, she said she was comfortable with us starting him on cereal. I asked about the obesity and allergy implications and she was not concerned with either. He has all the developmental milestones for eating (tongue thrust reflex and an interest in food) so why not? I considered trying baby led weaning but decided against it for several reasons.
Cal did get some shots but he is such a show off. He smiled at the nurse the entire time and only fussed for a nanosecond when the second needle was inserted.
After the appointment, he had a bottle in the waiting room and then passed out in his carseat. The weather was so beautiful that the two of us spent the rest of the day together and ran errands out in the sun.
Here are some things that Cal is up to this month:
* He is grasping for everything! He loves toys and reaches for anything in front of his face. As soon as he gets something in his hands, it immediately goes into his mouth.
* Cal has a tooth coming in soon. The pediatrician felt a hard spot on his gum which would explain the massive amounts of drool that he is producing.
* My big boy is now eating big bottles. He takes about 3-4 ounces at a time every 2 hours. Yes, you read that correctly. He loves to eat.
* Speaking of eating, he had his first cereal the afternoon of his appointment. I bought some organic brown rice cereal and he LOVED IT! He was like a little baby bird opening his mouth and waiting for the spoon. Ever since than he has having a couple of tablespoons of cereal a day. I am not sure when we will make the transition to other foods. I still think he might be too young.
* You LOVE your bath. I am considering giving you a bath more than twice a week because you love it so much. You splash and smile and coo the whole time while in the bath. Most babies don't like getting water in their face but I accidentally got some on your's and you just smiled. It's so fun seeing you in the tub.
* Generally you are such a happy baby and smile all.the.time. All it takes is to smile big at you and you do the same right back. The last couple of days have been rough. I am not sure if you are lonely and want to be held every second, or you are going through a growth spurt or if the introduction of solid food is bothering you but you have been pretty cranky. I am sure you will get back to your happy self soon.
* You are wearing 6 month clothes now. Mainly because of your cloth diapers. You can still squeeze into some 3 month stuff but you kind of look like the Michelin Man when we dress you in that size.
* You giggle pretty much any time you are tickle and for the first time a week ago you giggled without being touched. I was making silly sounds and faces at you and you just giggled away.
* On your 4 month birthday you rolled from your belly to your back for the first time. Since then you have done it several more times. It seems like you want to go from back to belly too because of the way you contort your body when laying on your back.
* Your favorite toy is your taggie blanket. You chew and rub that thing constantly! God forbid we forget it in the car or on a day trip because you love it!
You are the sweetest little boy Cal. I can't believe you are 4 months old. I want you to stay a baby forever but at the same time can't wait to see you grow up and watch you reach all your milestones.
Mommy and Daddy love you!