Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Week's Worth of Dinners

Last week was all about easy cooking.  I was at a client site for work and didn't have time to make complicated meals.  I relied on my crockpot a lot.  I would prep dinner the night before so all Jason had to do was take the crock out of the fridge and set it in the crockpot and turn it on.  Easy!

Monday night I made Apricot Chicken.  This is similar to a recipe my mom used to make.  The chicken turns out super moist and flavorful.  I actually added a bit more apricot preserves because when I tasted the sauce, it didn't taste much like apricot and it wasn't very thick. After the extra, it was yummy!  I served this over rice and added a salad.  This will be sure to make it in our rotation frequently.  And can I say just how much I love the blog I have linked above?  If I want a fun, new crockpot recipe, I always check here first.


Tuesday night was honestly the best chili I have ever eaten or made for that matter.  Jason agreed that this Chicken Taco Chili was amazing.  Even better?  It's healthy which will come in handy when I start up Weight Watchers again.

When I prepped this, I threw the chicken breasts on the top still frozen.  They were still frozen by the next morning when Jason turned on the crockpot but that didn't stop them from turning out moist and easy to shred.  I love that this recipe was incredibly easy to make and very affordable.  We always have chicken, onions and the spices on hand so I just had to buy the canned items, the taco seasoning and the corn.  I want to say this meal was $5.00 not including the chicken.

It was so good that we were fighting over the leftovers.  Add in a dash of Tabasco sauce and it was perfect.


I am seriously drooling just looking at this picture

Wednesday night was steaks on the barbeque and side dishes.  I don't have any pictures because we all know what steaks look like.  Jason made a spicy steak rub recipe and generously coated the steaks before grilling and they were tasty.

Thursday night I went out to dinner with my coworkers so no meal preparation.  Friday was dinner at my in-laws so again, no dinner prep. Saturday is Jason's scheduled game night so it was leftovers for me.

My last recipe isn't dinner but it's sure delicious!  A little backstory:  A few years ago, Jason and I were at Sandlake Country Inn for our anniversary and we went out to dinner at a little restaurant called Roseanna's Cafe.  We ordered the Tollhouse Pie for dessert and fell in love.  It was like a chocolate chip cookie in pie form.  As soon as we got home, I tried duplicating the recipe.  Nothing ever turned out as good, but I did come close with this recipe.

This is not for the faint of heart.  Especially not when you plunk a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on the plate as well.  Heaven!


No comments:

Post a Comment