Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My Tricks and Tips

Since I am now on Weight Watchers, I thought it would be helpful to blog about what I eat, my tricks, how I feel, etc.

Granted, I am still very new to this this time around but I have done WW in the past so I do have lots of good tricks.

I went to my first weigh-in and meeting on Sunday.  I wasn't going to post my weight on here but in order to keep myself accountable, here goes:

Starting weight:  221 pounds.

Holy shit, that's a lot.  I think that's the highest I have ever been.  It's funny because my clothes aren't fitting poorly.  I honestly do think a lot of the weight is in my boobs because of my pumping/breastfeeding.

I was assigned 48 Points a day due to my weight and the fact that I am a breastfeeding mom.

Let me get down to business and tell you some of my tricks and secrets of being successful on Weight Watchers:

1.  Keep a fully stocked fridge and pantry.  If you don't a variety of healthy things to eat and snack on, you will likely make poor choices.  I also do a big grocery shop before I start the Plan and load up on tons of fruits, vegetables, healthy snack choices and mini "splurge" items.  I always have choices and if I run out of one of my favorites, I immediately buy more.

2.  TRACK YOUR FOOD.  I can't say this enough!  I find what works best for me is to track all my food the day before I eat it.  Sound strange?  As a planner, it feels good to have a plan of what I am going to eat that day.  It keeps me accountable and on track. If I don't feel like eating something that I had planned that day, no big deal.  I just substitute something else.  I try to be flexible but this plan works the best for me.

3.  Eat things you like.  Don't eat a food you don't like because it's "healthy" or because "I should be eating more vegetables".  One of the beauty things about being on WW is that you can eat whatever you want.  Don't like kale?  Don't eat it.  Would you rather eat a pudding snack instead of yogurt?  Do it!  If you eat foods you like, you will be less likely to fall off the plan.

4. Splurge a little.  I love sweets.  Desserts especially.  I find that if I allow myself a sweet treat after dinner, I am satisfied.  It is sometimes something small like hot cocoa or one cookie, but it is enough to make me feel like I have gotten my craving out of the way.  To go along with this, I have to be very careful of what foods I keep in the house.  If I have cookies or sweets in the house, I tend to overindulge.  My way around this is to pre-portion the food out so I am less tempted to eat more than a serving.  So I will take a package of cookies and put two in a Ziploc bag and freeze the rest.

Want to see what 48 Points and one day of eating looks like?  Here is what I ate yesterday:

Breakfast

Bowl of oatmeal with mini chocolate chips - 6 Points
Banana - 0 Points
Copious amounts of coffee with my favorite creamer - 6 Points

Lunch

Turkey sandwich with cheese on a Sandwich Thin roll - 9 Points
Greek yogurt - 2 Points
Orange - 0 Points
Small glass of milk - 1 Point

Snacks

String cheese - 2 Points
Apple with peanut butter - 3 Points
Fiber One bar - 4 Points
Celery with hummus - 1 Point

Dinner

Chicken and Broccoli Casserole - 9 Points
Salad with olive oil and lemon juice - 1 Point
Green beans - 0 Points
Glass of milk - 3 Points
Pudding cup - 3 Points

That's a lot of food right?  I think so too.  As you can see, I am not deprived.  Of course that will change when I stop breastfeeding.

Wish me luck as I venture on this journey!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome job, girl! Definitely keep it up. You look like you're off to a great start. I can't wait to watch your progress.

    ReplyDelete