Wednesday, February 24, 2010

First Pediatrician Appointment

Jack had an appointment yesterday with the pediatrician. We had just come from downtown to visit all my coworkers so it was indeed a busy day. However, he did great! He did awesome in the car, at the office and then at the appointment.

I had to strip him down naked, including taking off his diaper. He was right in the middle of pooping and I explained that to the nurse but she said it was okay. Apparently, they don't care. They want an accurate weight. Thankfully, he didn't poop or pee on the scale.

I need to give kudos to the nurse. She told me how great I looked, ha! I thought that was very nice of her even if she may have been lying. In my defense, I did my hair and makeup yesterday since I was visiting coworkers. I needed to look good!

Our little chunky monkey now weighs 9 pounds! Pretty soon he is going to need to start wearing 3 month clothing rather than his newborn outfits. His measurements for length and head circumference are in the 50th percentile while his weight is in the 45th. Our little guy is exactly average.

Dr. D, the pediatrician is so nice. She kept asking me if I had any questions, which I did. I wanted to know whether his periods of being awake (sometimes as much as 4 hours at a time) were normal. She said that it was unusual but she wasn't concerned since Jack is gaining like a champ and he appears to be getting tons of nutrition. I also asked about the color and stinkiness of his poo. Totally normal thankfully.

She pointed out that his breathing (it alternates between really fast and really slow sometimes) is a self-protectant against SIDS. Apparently, this allows them to self regulate their breathing which is a very good thing. I have to admit, I am very very scared of SIDS. What parent isn't? Dr. D tried to reassure me by telling me that Jack is at a low risk because of the following: No one in the house smokes, I had good prenatal care, I haven't had another child that passed from SIDS and I put Jack to sleep on his back. Regardless, I am still worried about it. From the age of 2 to 4 months, I am sure I will be a nervous wreck. That time frame is when the risk of SIDS is at the highest. Okay, moving on to more happy topics.

She was very impressed with how well I have been doing with breastfeeding and was also impressed with how strong Jack was. He kept holding his head up and kicking his little feet. She kept saying (in her cute Minnesotan accent), "Boy you have a strong one". Dr. D also commented just how precious he was. I am pretty sure she says that to all her patients, but in our case, it's true. He is precious.

Jack was an absolute angel at the pediatrician. Even during his PKU test. He didn't scream although he did cry. The poor nurse had a hard time getting blood from him because he kept moving all over the table and kicking his little feet. In the end, he did great and as soon as he was dressed, he stopped crying.

The next appointment is the 2 monther when Jack will get his shots. I am not looking forward to that one. I get teary-eyed thinking about it already. My poor baby is going to get his first shots!

1 comment:

  1. I'm right there with you on the SIDS thing. Absolutely petrified, to the point that I hardly sleep and HATE not evn being in the same room as Morgan :(

    ReplyDelete