Monday, February 15, 2010

Praise God!

That is exactly how I feel right now. We just got back from an appointment with the Lactation Consultant and it appears that Jack is finally catching on to sucking! We had a nursing session there and he ate 2.2 ounces! That is how much he takes from the bottle (or more) at a feeding! I can't tell you how relieved I am to hear that he is learning.

The plan from here is to continue to nurse and Jason will primarily feed him from his special bottle at night. I asked him to bring Jack in to me for one nursing session in the middle of the night so I don't have completely engorged breasts by the morning. I will nurse him exclusively during the day but keep the Haberman handy just in case he gets frustrated or angry or doesn't get enough milk from me.

I was told to cut back on the pumping so that Jack gets most of my supply. I will still pump, but probably not every 2-3 hours like I have been doing. I will probably go every four and then nix the pumping at night. That way, I can get 6 or so hours of sleep.

I will also continue to use the nipple shield since that really has helped him latch on. If I feel comfortable, in the middle of a nursing session, I can remove the shield and see if he will take my nipple.

Seriously, I am so happy right now. I realize that we still have work to do, but we are on the right track and the road to success. Jack is gaining beautifully and I am a lot less stressed than I was a week ago. Thank you God! My prayers have been answered!

No comments:

Post a Comment