Friday, February 26, 2010

3 Week Growth Spurt

I am not sure if there is such a thing, but it seems that is what is happening with Jack the last three days. On Wednesday, we went to visit Nana's coworkers and Jack did great! In the afternoon, things started to get ugly. With a capital U.

On Wednesday Jack started eating more than usual. What was really strange was that he would be done (he tells me he's done by spitting out my nipple) and then not even five minutes later, he would want to eat again. This cycle would repeat several times until he either gave up or got frustrated. Besides the random eating pattern, he also would not sleep. From Wednesday to yesterday, I don't believe this little guy slept for more than 90 minutes at a time. This went on alllll day Wednesday, Thursday and part of yesterday.

Jack seemed to be better yesterday until around 8:00pm when he became really fussy. I nursed him and then when he gave up after about 20 minutes, he still seemed hungry. I had some pumped milk heated up and I gave him a bottle. He ate 4 ounces of milk on top of what he got from me nursing him. That seems a little much doesn't it?

I know it's not my supply that is the problem. Every time Jack pulls off my nipple, there is a ton of milk in the shield and I am able to squeeze and get milk as well. What gives? I don't think it's nipple confusion because I have no problem getting him to go to the boob and nurse for a period of time.

Could this be reflux? He only spits up about once a day and it's not projectile. He gets pretty cranky and his eating pattern is erratic. To all the other moms out there, is this normal or should I call the pediatrician? He doesn't seem to be in pain, but maybe he isn't able to convey pain very well.

I am at a loss and very very tired. Both Jason and I are trying everything in the baby arsenal and nothing seems to be working.

No comments:

Post a Comment