Friday, January 29, 2010

38 Week Appointment

I realize that I never updated after my 37 week appointment. I had all kinds of lab work done and everything came back normal and negative. I do not have GBS and my bile salts and kidney function tests al came back normal. That just means that my swelling is not caused by anything alarming. It's just normal pregnancy swelling.

Today was my 38 week appointment. I was hoping and praying for some progress, but was completely expecting for none. See my theory is expect the worst but hope for the best. That way, I can't be disappointed.

I had an internal and low and behold, I am only effaced 60%. Not dilated at all. Which means that Walter Goblin is comfy and not ready to come out yet. That's okay. I can live with that.

I asked my doctor if he could measure me and possibly guesstimate how big the bean is. He said "sure" and started probing away. I told him my theory while he was kneading biscuits out of my belly. "My friends and family all think I am having a small-ish baby. I want to see your opinion". Well, he smiled.

"You aren't having a small baby. Right now, he appears to be around 8 pounds".

SEE? I knew it! As much as I don't want to be right about this particular fact, I always knew he was going to be big. I have always guessed that I would have a baby that was over 9 pounds. It looks like I might be right after all. Take that family and friends! I told you so. Neener neener.

I realize I should not be happy about having a giant kid, but I am the type of person that loves to be right. This also means that my chance of having a c-section is going to be higher. It is what it is. I can't do anything to change that. I can hope for a vaginal birth but if I have a c-section, it's not the end of the world.

The good news? I apparently am good at growing big, healthy babies. The bad news? He might not fit into many of his newborn clothes.

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to see what he weighs. I think Dr's estimations from feeling are always high... we'll see!

    ReplyDelete